Sunday, August 21, 2011

Love Where I Work

Not only do I love where I work and what I do, but I love who I work with. It is mostly a happy place to be. When it isn't a happy outcome...it is heartbreaking and this can be hard. But, I feel privileged to work where I do and with who I do...ya'll are great! I'm so excited to have people I love and trust be the people who take care of me because I know that they will go above and beyond for me...I will admit that it might be just slightly wierd. However we've all done and seen it all in our department so I really need to get over it!


So one downfall, if I can even call it that, is to know what you know and work where I work when I'm in the condition I'm in. It's hard not to think about all of the many things that can go wrong. Aside from not feeling as well as I have with other pregnancies, things have really gone text book for this pregnancy. Wait, I think that the "discomforts" that I'm referring to are text book. I think that my other four pregnancies and not feeling these discomforts means they might have been abnormal! Anyways, the past several visits baby's head has been down and in a good position. So good that at my last appointment when checking baby's position the doc stated, "Oh yeah, that baby's head isn't going anywhere at this stage in the game." This baby has been a good little baby. The movement for this baby has been CRAZY, but one thing that's been different is that I have always felt the movement in the same areas since I started feeling movement...back when it was so small that it didn't really matter what position this baby was in. Basically it's always been in the right position or close to.


One of those discomforts that I was talking about that I'm feeling this time around is the inability to bend over. But, on Friday I was just not having it. I was bound and determined. I have a routine to keep my house clean and running smoothly and not getting behind and because of how I have felt it was very much behind. I was done with being behind. I was going to get caught up and keep it up. I have to, I'm about to add a newborn to my already overflowing plate. So, on Friday I got the kids to school, came home and got to work. There just isn't getting around having to bend over to clean up in this house with all the little toys. I tried to avoid it when I could, but I couldn't completely. I picked things up off the floor, I made beds, I pulled things in and out of the washer and dryer. Things that my husband and kids have been doing for me because of the discomfort this time. Ben came home from work that morning. I was about an hour and a half in to my plan and when he got home I filled him in. He responded, "You know I'm not going to let you do this. So, you just be the director and I'll take orders." (I know, he's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!) I let him know he wasn't going to stop me, but I did put him to work on the bathtub! (That one is definitely not going to happen for me right now) While he was workin' I was too and we were gettin' a lot done. After about a total of two and a half to three hours of this, I was done. I was achey, my back hurt and I was worried that if I continued I for sure wouldn't be able to function the next day at work. So I reluctantly listened and laid down hoping I could get through one more shift at work. I did NOT feel so well the rest of the day.

Within minutes of me laying down, something kinda startled me. I felt some baby movement in an area of my belly that I have not felt it the entire pregnancy and I was having an easier time breathing than what I had been. GREAT! I shared my fears with Ben that all of that bending over was also making baby uncomfortable so baby moved. Ben tried calming my fears with, "Everything's going to be fine! Doc said that baby isn't going to move now." I rested most of the rest of the day on Friday and I woke up feeling just okay on Saturday and went to work. It worked out well because it was an abnormally slow day. So abnormally slow that we all decided it was a good time for one of our new RN's to get some practice with me. They ran a strip on baby. I had some decent contractions for her and everything. (I've been contracting A LOT for awhile now...just nothing regular yet.) They all knew that I was worried that baby wasn't head down anymore so we decided to let our new RN get some practice checking baby position first by palpating. Then we pulled out the ultrasound machine to confirm and sure enough, baby is transverse!!! NO!!!

Needless to say, I'm very upset with myself! But, what am I to do now? Of course I'm trying everything, but there's not a whole lot of room now. Babies have been known to still turn, I just know that it is getting kinda late. I see doc tomorrow. In the mean time I'm hoping and praying that baby will still work his or her head down. Any prayers offered towards this cause are much appreciated. Who knows? Maybe baby will have already gotten back in position by my appointment tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! good luck and we'll keep you both in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Aunt Ali, definetly praying for you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the same as sunny-side-up? Matt was born sunny-side-up. They are a pain to push out! Let me know...Prayers are with you. See you on Sept 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. When a baby is transverse, it is impossible to deliver vaginally. Sunny side up is posterior. Both of my girls were posterior too.

    ReplyDelete