Sunday, July 17, 2011

Foot in Mouth

Sometimes, I think that I need to practice this art of putting my foot in my mouth and stop while I am ahead. Nothing has happened recently, but I sometimes think back on certain conversations with people I have come in contact with and think, "I shouldn't have said that," or "That came out wrong." I hope I haven't hindered friendships or offended someone. If I have, I did not intend to. Anywho, I know that sometimes I say too much or say the wrong thing. I am working on it!

On another note, Sadie told me last night as I was putting her to bed and giving my sweet baby loves, she looked at me and rather sweetly said, "Mom, I don't think that you're the right mom for us." I wanted to crumble! I wanted to cry! I wanted to overreact!...I didn't. I want her to be able to talk open to me this way, right? I'm not so sure that I wanted to hear that, but atleast she's comfortable enough to tell me...right? So, I just looked at her and said, "Well, why would I not be the right mom for you?" I wasn't sure that I wanted to hear the response. Was she going to tell me that she would rather have one of her friends moms or one of her aunts as a mom? She responded, "Because you're mean and you put us on time out." Okay, I can handle that. I explained to her the reasons that she had been given time outs recently and explained to her that she knows that these choices were not good choices and that it's up to her if she wants to make inappropriate choices than she will have time outs. I went on to explain that I would not be a good mom if I allowed her to continue hitting, calling names, etc. without a time out. I asked her if she would expect Jacob to have a timeout if he hit her and, of course, she said yes. Who knows if she understands in her 4 year old mind what I was trying to explain, but she did still tell me that she loves me and graced me with a bed time hug and kiss. Much needed after that statement!

I can't believe that I am posting this for others to see, but this is a journal for our family and it needs to be documented!

No comments:

Post a Comment